9/23/10

Big Ego, Big Problem


I've been seeking humility, and then Ego came and kicked my ass.  

I made an unintentional error that hurt feelings, made people angry, all which culminated with me being yelled at.

I won't get into particulars, because this is a public forum, but basically I did something myself that someone else should have done. I didn't accept the things I could not change, or ask the wisdom to know the difference because of Ego. When what I should have done was humbly asked them to do it themselves. I did not want to humbly ask. Ego said, "You already asked" and Humility was being held hostage by Ego in the back room with duct tape over her mouth.

What I learned was that humility is a PERSPECTIVE THAT GIVES YOU AN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE BETTER CHOICES.

Humility is a perspective.

If I had perceived others with grace, then I would have made a different choice.

If I had perceived myself "right-sized" I would have made a different choice.

I didn't make the choice because I am mean, bad, or stupid. I made the choice because it seemed the only logical one given my perspective of the situation.

I have learned…ask the wisdom to know the difference EVERY TIME self-righteous indignation propels me to act.

And make sure Humility is not held hostage by Ego.

No comments:

Post a Comment