9/14/10

Higher Power




I'm reading a book called, The Wisdom to Know The Difference by Eileen Flanagan and it's such a great book.
It breaks down the Serenity Prayer through the stories of others, and the author's own personal insights. I just finished the first chapter and it is so full of insight that I don't even want to go on until I can digest it all.




God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change
The courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference

In the first chapter, it poses some questions about our beliefs system, and how damaging beliefs can keep us from making changes. That's an over simplified synopsis. I have been thinking a lot of the nature of God and how my perception of God has become so complicated its hard to just trust and let go. In the beginning I just believed in a Higher Power and that was enough. As time went on I tried to learn more and more about God, and just became more confused until it seemed as if I had lost faith altogether.

Now I'm back to the beginning, back to the basics. I heard in a meeting last week:

"Do you believe in a Higher Power? Yes? Than just shut up and pray."

And so, I have. My mantra (as I've mentioned over and over again this week) is God Could and Would if He Were Sought.

When life gets complicated, through my own doing..might I add, it is the simple approach that works best.



Breathe in, breathe out, and just shut up and pray.



No comments:

Post a Comment